Image Map

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Overcoming Kitchen Intimidation


The kitchen can be a intimidating place, and trying new recipes can be a little scary. It's so easy to stay in our comfort zone when it comes to cooking. I certainly have dishes that feel safe, and I make them often. There isn't anything wrong with this, but I think trying new things in the kitchen is important and fun. Sometimes a new dish won't turn out perfectly (or even at all), but that's when we learn and become better!

My personal kitchen fearmonger? Macarons. Those dainty, cute, finicky little cookies were a recipe that I didn't think I could master. I had read how difficult they are to make, and saw pretty good bakers fail at making them. I made my first batch yesterday and I'm happy to report about 70% of them turned out great! Not a total victory, but I'm excited to keep practicing!

As you can see, some turned out, some not so much.
This little baking victory yesterday was a reminder that trying new recipes can be really rewarding. I love cooking because I love food, but what I love the most is creating things for others to enjoy. When that source of happiness can also be a personal victory, it's a win for everybody involved.

What recipe intimidates you? I bet if you gave it a try, you'd be pleasantly surprised! Here are a few things to consider when trying something new in the kitchen.

1. Do your research! Make sure to read the recipe from top to bottom. Any terms or ingredients that you're unfamiliar with? Learn more about them before starting.
2. Be realistic about your abilities. When trying new things, the goal is to push yourself but not set yourself up for failure. If grilled cheese is a struggle, making a souffle may not be the best idea.
3. Practice makes perfect. If you try something new and it fails, don't beat yourself up about it. It might take a few tries to get a recipe right.
4. Choose the right time to try a new recipe. Don't put extra pressure on yourself by trying something new for a party/event. That way if it doesn't work out, you don't have to panic.
5. Celebrate your kitchen victories! Make something awesome? Share it with others! A humble brag is okay every now and then :)

Have you tried something new recently? I'd love to hear how it turned out! Oh, and just incase you're wanting to try macarons yourself, I found this video to be really helpful!

PS: Looking for some new recipes? I'm sharing some pumpkin recipes on Amanda's awesome blog, Write in Tights. Check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.