Image Map

Monday, November 11, 2013

Comfort Food Monday: Deep Dish Sausage, Yam and Arugula Breakfast Pie


Recently, I bought a deep dish pie pan and it pretty much made my day. I started to think of how much more filling I could put into every pie. Is it weird to get super excited about pie filling? I'm not sure. Okay, that's a lie. I know it's a little strange.


This particular pie was a bit of a happy accident. Yesterday while watching the Seahawks totally dominate, I decided to make a breakfast pie with my new pie pan. I basically gathered some random ingredients in my fridge/pantry and hoped for the best. Dontcha love it when stuff just works out in the kitchen? 


Of course you can make this without a deep dish pie pan, you'll just need to reduce the ingredients (the eggs in particular). This breakfast pie feeds a lot of people, so it's perfect for a big family breakfast. Or if you live in a small household like me, it provides a lot of leftovers! 


Deep Dish Sausage, Yam and Arugula Breakfast Pie 
2 cups golden yams, cubed (about 1/2 yam)
10 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese (other cheeses would be good too! Cheddar, gruyere...)
1 large cup arugula 
Approx. 6 link breakfast sausages, chopped
1/4 tsp. paprika
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Pie crust, homemade or store bought

1. Place yams in a large pot of boiling water and cook until tender. Drain and set aside. Cook sausages, and set aside. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Stir in cheese and arugula. Add salt, pepper and paprika and stir to fully incorporate. 
3. Roll out pie dough onto your deep dish pie pan. Arrange cooked yams evenly on pie dough, and pour egg mixture on top. Place cooked pieces of sausages onto egg mixture.
4. Cover pie with foil and let cook for 30 minutes. Uncover and let cook until the middle of the pie has become firm, about another 20 minutes. 
5. Let cool, and enjoy! I like topping mine with a little hot sauce :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.