Image Map

Thursday, April 19, 2012

DIY Nail Polish from Pigment

   Nail art has really taken off in the past year or so. While I fully support all the cute nail art, my nails have never been a huge priority to me. Of course I love getting my nails done, but this happens probably once or twice a year. I never really buy polish and do it myself either; I always scuff them up right after I paint them and it drives me nuts.

   Lately though, I have been inspired by all the great nail ideas out there. I have even started to accumulate a little polish collection! When I saw this post by Keiko Lynn, about how to make your own nail color out of pigment and clear polish, I had to give it a try!

You need:
Makeup pigment (I  used MAC's "Melon")
Clear polish or top coat
Something to mix it in
Something to mix with (I used a bobby pin)
Nail polish remover to clean your brush


1. Pour some pigment into your mixing container, and add your clear polish. I used a bobby pin to mix the two together. There wasn't much rhyme or reason to the amounts I used. Basically enough polish to get the right consistency, and enough pigment to get a good amount of color. I tested this by smearing some on a piece of paper.


2. Paint nails! I did two coats, then cleaned off my brush. Definitely need nail polish remover for cleaning your brush! Once clean, do a top coat to seal color.


And voila! So easy. I'm sure it would be fun to mix pigments together to create a custom color, or add the pigment to a colored nail polish!


11 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Great idea! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks great! thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so excited to try this!! it looks awesome.. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I was there yesterday! Totally just getting boxes too..;) bummer I didn't see you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhhh I love this color!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah such a great Idea! I love having cute-ly painted nails, but I always end up biting/scratching them off! (it's a TERRIBLE habit, I know!) Your blog is so cute and you are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I always end up picking off the polish. It's just so fun when you're bored! Awh, thank you! Love yours as well :)

      Delete
  7. This is such a gorgeous colour. I didn't really understand the "pigment" thing before, but now I need some!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Great idea !! and nice blog too ! we can follow each other if you want , let me know your reponse on my blog !! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so cool! i didn't even know that was possible. i *have* to do this now.
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been seeing this a lot lately on Pinterest. Its such a great idea since I don't think its possible to ever use up all of the Mac pigment powder! They make the jars too big :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.