Image Map

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Pancakes with Sour Cream Topping


  I'll admit it...I'm not a huge breakfast person. After eating a big breakfast, I usually just want to crawl back into bed.. If I have time to eat breakfast, I always go for something savory like eggs and toast. Or I just skip breakfast foods altogether and have lunch. Give me a sandwich over a waffle any day.

  But every now and then, I get a craving for something sweet for breakfast. While french toast is my favorite carby way to start the day, blueberry pancakes are a close second. I love adding lemon to my blueberry pancakes for a little zip, and this sour cream topping is such a yummy substitute to super sweet syrup.


 Pancakes: Recipe adapted from About.com
2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred or sifted before measuring
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tsp lemon zest


Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and 1 1/2 cups of milk; add to flour mixture, stirring only until smooth. Blend in melted butter. If the batter seems too thick to pour, add a little more milk. Add blueberries and lemon zest and combine. Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbly, a little dry around the edges, and lightly browned on the bottom; turn and brown the other side. Recipe for pancakes serves 4.

Topping
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 to 2 tbs. powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)

 Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until warm.

4 comments:

  1. yum!! im not a big breakfast person either, but there are times that I go all out. I too like to crawl back to bed after having a big breakfast. I'm actually back in bed now haha! happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound incredibly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a maple syrup fan at all so I am definitely going to try out that sour cream topping!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.